- - Q. How does the Ministry of Economy currently support inbound investment in Zacatecas? What initiatives are in the pipeline?
- The State Ministry of Economy is currently supporting inbound investment in Zacatecas. through a series of key actions in this matter, such as the following:
a) Soft landing: Personalized support and follow-up on main procedures required upon establishment and initial phase of a new investment project for the state of Zacatecas.
b) Recruitment support and granting training scholarships for newly hired workers (for a 60-day period).
c) Cash incentive to ease the company’s establishment in Zacatecas.
d) Incentive for specific and specialized training outside Mexico.
* Initiatives in the pipeline: Tax, tariffs and contributions rebates over state taxes, currently under revision.
- - Q. What economic and other business benefits does Zacatecas offer over other states in Mexico for newly investing companies?
- The State of Zacatecas is offering key benefits to effectively attract Foreign Direct Investment, aimed to help new companies in the search for crucial elements for the company, such as: conducting query for the required supply chain for its start-up, as well as possible customers to increase a local market share; and support in recruiting and selection of human capital with specific profiles, such as: engineers and technicians.
The State of Zacatecas, offers cash incentives for new companies, establishing operations in the State, up to 10% of the investment value.
Additionally, Zacatecas can provide legal security environment for all the investment derived from establishing a new company, along with our state’s government commitment to maintain favorable conditions for the competitiveness of companies and their local growth.
Partly, by focusing on completing a high-quality infrastructure in order to meet new company’s demands in terms of logistics; also, by relying on efficient links between academia, industry and government in order to ensure an adequate synergy among these main players, to create the conditions necessary for companies with new investment projects to allocate them successfully in Zacatecas.
Zacatecas has a state government with a pro‐business and investment focus, and that is the reason why our aim is to have all the required elements that foreign companies are seeking for in order to choose Zacatecas as their best option for their project.
- - Q. Please offer a brief case study of historic successful Chinese corporate investment into Zacatecas.
- HARBOR MINING LTD.: a Mexican-Chinese mining company of recent creation, incorporated in the State of Zacatecas. Its main activity is the exploitation, extraction, processing and marketing of Manganese, mainly to the Asian market while looking into the possibility of selling surplus in the domestic market.
* Main foreign key customers: CYMCO from China.
- - Q. How easy is it to register a new company in Zacatecas, and what is the timeframe?
- It is quite easy relatively to register a new company in Zacatecas;
Timeframe and procedures:
* It is necessary to verify the availability of Corporate Names for new companies, in the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs (SRE, Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores) by checking the general database of registered names of existing companies, and available
- With these documents, it is necessary to go with a Public Notary to register the Incorporation Documents for the new company, by the shareholders or by some representative from the company authorized to undertake this procedure by Power of Attorney, to obtain the Memorandum of Incorporation of the company.
- Next, one must proceed to register the company in the Federal Taxpayer Registry (SAT, Secretaría de Administración Tributaria) bureau, which is the equivalent to the Income Revenue/Tax Office; afterwards, with this Income Tax Office (RFC, Registro Federal de Contribuyentes) registration code already issued, one must register this code online on the SAT website.
- Following this, the company must file register to the IMSS, Social Security Mexican Institute.
- These are the main steps to register and enable a new company, fully operational in Zacatecas. The timeframe to have all paperwork and documents ready, varies from 15 to 25 days, in order to have a fully registered company in Zacatecas.
- - Q. How does the infrastructure of Zacatecas benefit companies using the region as a distribution hub?
- The infrastructure of Zacatecas benefits companies using this region as a distribution hub, greatly due to its strategic geographical location and excellent road connectivity, being close to the country’s capital city as well as main cities; the distances to these main cities are:
* Mexico City: 625 km.
* Guadalajara, Jalisco: 317 km.
* Monterrey, NL: 450 km.
* Querétaro, Querétaro: 410 km.
- And also to the main seaports:
- On the Atlantic Ocean:
- Veracruz, Ver.: 1037 km., and
- Altamira in Tampico, Tamaulipas: 618 km.
- On the Pacific Ocean
- Mazatlán, Sinaloa: 607 km.
- Manzanillo, Colima: 650 km.
- and Lázaro Cárdenas, Michoacán: 750 km.
- Along with connectivity and proximity to the main border cities with the United States:
- Nuevo Laredo, Tamps. with Laredo, Texas: 650 km.
- Reynosa, Tamps. with McAllen, Texas: 660 km.
- Juárez, Chihuahua with El Paso, Texas: 1200 km.
- Main roads connecting Zacatecas with main cities and borders:
- Road 54:
- To Saltilllo, Coahuila: 360 km.; Monterrey, NL: 450 km.; and Laredo, Texas: 650 km.; McAllen, Texas: 660 km.
- Road 45:
- To City of Aguascalientes, Ags.: 115 km., Guadalajara, Jal.: 317 km., and Mexico City: 625 km.
- Zacatecas is an automotive hub, to the adjacent Bajío region (states of Aguascalientes, San Luis Potosí, Jalisco and Guanajuato) and to the north with the state of Coahuila.
- AIR CONNECTIVITY:
- Direct National flights: Zacatecas City, to the following destinations: Mexico City and Tijuana, BC.
- Direct International flights: Zacatecas City, to the following destinations: Dallas, Texas; Los Angeles, California; San José, California; and Chicago, Illinois.
- RAILWAY CONNECTIVITY:
FERROMEX is the only main railway network covering the state of Zacatecas, with a total network of 674.90 km. within the State.
For detailed information on the railway network throughout the main municipailities of the state of Zacatecas, access the following link: www.ferromex.com/ferromex-lo-mueve/sistema-ferromex.jsp
* Also, a new Strategic Inbond facility is currently in the process developing for next year (2018) in order to facilitate and expedite storage, (logistics) and customs procedures.
- - Q. What are your time-specific goals for job creation in Zacatecas, and which sectors are of primary
focus for development?
- The sectors catalogued as of a primary focus for development, are the ones held as key strategic sectors
for the Economic Development Plan for this 2016-2021 administration period, being the following:
* Automotive, Metal-Mechanical
* Renewable Energies, Eolic, SPV Parks and Waste to Energy (WTE)
* Information Technologies (IT)
- Goals for job creation, during 2016-2021 Period:
40,000 (as a minimum)